Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Village of Biberach




Yesterday I walked down the hill from the apartment to find the bus stop in Ummendorf and catch the 1:02 bus to Biberach, where Doug spends his workdays. When the bus didn’t arrive on schedule, I asked a couple of English-speaking women about the bus delay, and found out that the time was for Sonntag…which is Sunday! The M-F pick up was 1:52 pm. False start number 1, as Doug’s dad would say. When I returned to the stop at the correct time, I met a delightful couple…also going to Biberach. They invited me to join them and even paid my fare! For the next few hours I enjoyed shopping in the town square area, where there’s a magnificent church. A funny incident occurred when I tried to buy Tums from a clerk who didn’t speak English. After lots of hand gestures, she suggested pills that I figured out were for weight loss! Finally I showed her the word “indigestion” in my German phrase book. Ahh…she got it. Doug met me after work and we ate dinner at a cool restaurant – Ente. It was suggested to Doug, as Mr. Liebherr (head of the multi-billion$ company) eats there when he’s in town, and even keeps his line of Liebherr wines there! We were tempted to try one, but the price of a bottle was a bit more than we wanted to spend. Food was fabulous – I had white fish from the Bodenze and Doug had grilled lamb. For dessert we shared homemade coconut ice cream with pineapple sauce. Yum!!

1 comment:

  1. Yum is right! That sounds sooo good! I love the pic of you and Doug. Chris and I were just talking about what a fun adventure this will be for you (and Doug) to spend time in Germany, and actually live in an apartment, seeing what real life is like. Sounds like you're already experiencing some of that. Looking forward to reading more...

    ReplyDelete