Wednesday, March 3, 2010

An American (me) in Bulle

While shopping in Bulle, I happened to wander into a shop that had some interesting jewelry pieces on display. As I was browsing, the shop keeper asked me in English, not French, where I was from. After he found out that I was from Michigan in the U.S., he relayed that he and his family had moved to Switzerland a couple years ago from Los Angeles, where he still owns a jewelry store. His wife is Swiss, and they decided to move to Bulle and raise their 9-year old son there. Okay…so far so good. But he proceeded to go on a rant, saying that his home in L.A. still hasn’t sold, that there will be a mass rebellion in the States, that the country will go under because of our 12 trillion$ national debt, that the schools are horrible…on and on. Finally, I said that with his views Bulle is exactly where he should live! But I, on the other hand, wouldn’t want to live anywhere in the world other than in the United States. He then backed off and mumbled something about wanting to return to the U.S. some day, but for now he’ll stay there. Hey…if you don’t love it, leave it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment