Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Town of Ummendorf


Ummendorf, the town where we’ve stayed the past two weeks (Doug three), is representative of villages and bergs scattered throughout the German countryside. It is also reminiscent of the town where I grew up…Glen Rock, Pennsylvania. Steep streets lead down to the town center. (No wonder my German ancestors chose southeastern Pennsylvania as the place to settle and call home…) A large church and high steeple provide a visual guide to the center of town, and a brew pub, restaurants, banks, and bakeries line the main street. Speaking of bakeries…we’ve greatly enjoyed the fabulous hard rolls, soft pretzels, and a variety of baked good while staying here! (I see many workouts on the horizon when I return home…) While on a walk, I found a small Freichmarkt on a side street...a good place to buy groceries. The front section offers a limited assortment of fruits and vegetables, the center section is stocked with packaged goods and dairy products, and the back section has three connected cases of meats, cheeses, and baked goods. It’s fun to try and speak a bit of German as the clerks try to speak a bit of English. I’m quite intrigued by all the new and unfamiliar food products... After gathering my purchases, I pull the nylon shopping bag from my purse, fill it with the grocery items, pay the cashier in Euros, and depart for the long uphill walk back to the apartment.

1 comment: